Tuesday, March 4, 2008

#13 Moving to the Mainland

Hawaiians have it in themselves to test the waters in other places. Many people might not know, but Hawaiians were capable of navigating the open oceans without the use of instruments, in a way far more superior than the European explorers. Over time the necessity to immigrate to more fertile places ceased to exist since paradise had been discovered. However, over time and generations the curiosity for travel and immigration has again emerged. Today, Hawaiians are found in California, Washington, Georgia, Florida, Las Vegas, and yes...(gulp!) even Utah. Believe it or not, everyone has an uncle or aunty that lives in one of these places. They have followed their internal compasses to see the world and find whatever they are looking for. Their families back in the islands only hope and pray, no matter where they go, they remember to stay Hawaiian.

1 comment:

prettyhua said...

I am one of those Hawaiians that decided to use my internal compass and move from beautiful Hawaii Nei to the deserts of Southern California. Did I find what I was searching for? I'm still searching! (2 years later) lthough I miss my family, the people, the beaches, the food and of course the Aloha Spirit, I made here my home. No matter how far you move from Hawaii a Hawaiian always takes it's Aloha with them.

Hugs and Kisses to the family...
Love Da Sauilemau's