Wednesday, March 5, 2008

#19 Superstitions, Legends and Sleeping Giants


For the Hawaiians out there, How many of you remember the "limu lady?" Okay, how about the "sleeping giant?" How many Hawaiians know about cutting your hair at night, or cutting your finger nails at night, or whistling at night? Who has ever driven through the Pali with pork? Any Hawaiians from Hilo drove through Saddle Road with a plate lunch from Blane's Drive-In? I hope it was the seafood plate. How many of you ever hear the drums at night? Or hear the chanting or see the torches and shadows of the Night Marchers? Anybody stop a woman from wearing a lei when you noticed she was pregnant? How many of us know what to do it we see an old Hawaiian lady dressed in white walking along a dark stretch of the highway? No, drive on by is not the right answer.

Anybody take a piece of lava rock away from the volcano? If you did, I hope you left something for Madame Pele. Or else plant ti leaves all the way around your house as soon as possible.
If you don't know by now, Hawaiians are pretty superstitious people. We could care less about breaking mirrors, black cats, umbrellas and ladders; when it comes to creepy things that summon spirits, fireballs, or make you lose teeth or hair, Hawaiians can be the biggest cowardly lions. Why? 'cause most of dis stuff stay true.

2 comments:

Shandra and Christian said...

This is the stuff that I love the most about Hawaii, the spiritual superstitions and the historical folklore. I really feel that the Hawaiian ancesters remain close to their islands and it's fun to hear the stories of why they are here. I wish that I had a personal story of my own, actually, I know of several friends and family members who have been affected by the night marchers. Very cool stories!
- Shandra

Unknown said...

I was not raised up living by the Hawaiian superstitious ways but I respect them. I taught an English class at a Hawaiian Immersion school. At that time I was pregnant. I got told once if I could take off my necklace, because it made her cringe with fear for that my baby's umbilical cord would wrap around her neck. Though I don't believe that wearing something around my neck would have any affect on what happened in my tummy, out of respect I stopped wearing the necklace or lei in school or around any other Hawaiians. Know what? All three of my babies came out healthy and strong all because of respect. ;)